Copyright © 2019 Dr. Debbie Magids. All rights reserved. No part of this content can be copied or used without permission.
"Awareness is a superpower. Everyone has two or three themes that are operating in their life unknowingly.
Once I help clients uncover them, they are unstoppable."
-Dr. Debbie Magids
Dr. Debbie Magids is a counseling psychologist with a thriving private practice in New York City. “Dr. Debbie” -- as she has come to be known to both her clients and national TV audience -- also runs corporate Wellness Workshops with Dr. Jaime Schehr, focused on topics including communicating effectively, managing stress, increasing productivity, and decreasing anxiety. She created Headshot Therapy, an innovative process that jumpstarts the path to self-discovery, in partnership with renowned portrait photographer Peter Hurley. She is the author of All the Good Ones Aren’t Taken: Change the Way You Date and Find Lasting Love (St. Martin’s Press).
How could you possibly initiate and sustain meaningful change if you don't fully grasp why you do what you do? Time and again I use a metaphor with my clients that our life, specifically our level of self-awareness, is like an iceberg with multiple levels operating at the same time. (Thank you, Dr. Freud.) We typically live at the tip of the iceberg, where only 5 percent of our conscious mind runs the show. In other words, we are completely in the dark about the other 95 percent of who we are, because it’s our subconscious and unconscious, the submerged part of the iceberg, that are actually in charge of everything we do. Rarely do people have the insights that live on the ocean floor, let alone the tools to do something constructive with them. My job is to take them there, and then use that knowledge to heal, help them be who they authentically are, and thrive in all aspects of their life.